Ensuring the continued delivery of security qualifications during the COVID-19 crisis
We have been working hard to ensure that centres delivering security qualifications can continue to deliver training during the COVID-19 crisis.
That’s involved the development of an innovative new digital solution called Qualify at Home, as well as liaising with regulatory authorities such as the Security Industry Authority (SIA).
Deliver our security qualifications with added flexibility
Highfield has worked with the SIA to confirm remote delivery and online assessment can be used for the Highfield Level 2 Award for Working as a Security Officer in the Private Security Industry, the Highfield Level 2 Award for Working as a CCTV Operator (Public Space Surveillance) within the Private Security Industry, and the first three units of the Level 2 Award in Working as a Door Supervisor in the Private Security Industry.
A pilot was undertaken with the SIA to ensure that flexible delivery and assessment could be achieved while remaining compliant. The pilot was successful and the SIA will now allow remote delivery of the following qualifications and have amended the contact hours and guidance accordingly:
- Level 2 Award for Working as a CCTV Operator (Public Space Surveillance) within the Private Security Industry (23 over 4 days practical assessments to take place on day 4*)
- Level 2 Award for Working as a Security Officer within the Private Security Industry (23 hours over 4 days*)
- Award for Working as a Security Officer within the Private Security Industry (Scotland) at SCQF Level 6 (23 hours over 4 days*)
- Award for Working as a CCTV Operator (Public Space Surveillance) within the Private Security Industry (Scotland) at SCQF Level 6 (23 over 4 days practical assessments to take place on day 4*).
We are informed that the position will be reviewed by the SIA on or around 1 April 2021.
In addition to the above, it will be possible to deliver the following units from the Level 2 Award for Working as a Door Supervisor within the Private Security Industry/Award for Working as a Door Supervisor within the Private Security Industry (Scotland) at SCQF Level 6 remotely, again until 1 April 20201:
- Working within the private security industry
- Working as a door supervisor within the private security industry
- Conflict management within the private security industry.
The delivery time for the above units is 23 hours over 4 days*.
*These times are inclusive of assessments.
NB Physical intervention must be delivered according to usual SIA requirements, i.e. face-to-face delivery, minimum contact time 12 hours.
If you would like to offer these qualifications/units remotely, please contact your account manager to discuss approval. Get more information about the delivery process with our step-by-step guide and full guidance from the SIA on the COVID-19 adaptations.
How you can meet the new SIA requirements
Through our Qualify at Home programme, we can support your teaching for these qualifications through remote learning. That includes allowing learners to sit exams at home and have them remotely invigilated, and then issued with e-certificates.
And for just one price, your learners can be registered on the selected qualification, receive a high-quality learning resource and complete the required examinations using remote invigilation.
What that means in practical terms is that:
- you can complete your training via a virtual classroom
- you receive electronic, downloadable PDF versions of our industry-leading security books
- learners can sit their exams for the qualification in just one sitting
- Highfield will provide remote invigilation conducted by Highfield staff in real-time and e-assessment
- you'll pay just one up-front fee of £70 per learner, or £60 per learner if you have more than 50 learners
Which is great news for you, and even better for learners working towards their SIA licences who may not be in a position to attend classroom delivery.
To find out more about the complete Qualify at Home package, watch our two-minute explainer video at https://www.highfieldqualifications.com/distance-learning
Watch our Qualify at Home webinar
If you have questions on any of the above, please contact your account manager, who will be happy to help.